AAA Life: ExpressTerm
Client: AAA Life Insurance Company
Contribution: UX Design, Information Architecture, Interaction Design
Deliverables: wireframes, prototypes, usability testing
AAA Life asked us to help them design and build a term life insurance product that will be the first of its kind to be entirely online. We wanted to make the process as easy and simple as possible, while still meeting all of the expectations an insurance customer would have of completing the process in-office. ExpressTerm allows users to go through the complete process of purchasing term life insurance online in an easy, and dare I say fun, way.
Desktop was the primary focus, given that it is the most likely use case. However, given that more and more people use tablets and even phones to do more and more tasks, we were committed to making our design responsive and ensuring that it would work smoothly no matter what screen size or computing environment.
Flow diagrams helped us plan for all the different steps of ExpressTerm. We started with a big flow of every single requirement, including all the variants depending on which page directed them to ExpressTerm.
From there, I sketched several variations of ExpressTerm, focusing on the flow. There wasn't a lot of leeway in organizing the order of pages, given certain legal requirements, but I used my sketches to show how an optimal flow might be.
The sketches turned into wireframes. The wireframes were intentionally kept low fidelity to direct conversation to the interactions. I did work closely with the visual designers through each iteration to keep the wireframe and hi-fi mockups in sync.
This proved useful later when it was time to make an interactive prototype for user testing. I was able to easily merge the visual designers' work with my own. My prototype replicated the complete process from start to finish. There were two rounds of user testing: a set of in-person studies where we could observe and ask questions directly, and online testing which allowed us to get many tests done very quickly.
It was interesting working in an Agile environment. The different pages of the product were prioritized and split up for several sprints of development. I liked that the different sprints allowed me to stay in constant contact with the engineers, allowing me to keep advocating for good UX. However, I'd say that splitting up the work doesn't help with UX. Building began as we did testing. So when changes would need to be made, they might affect pages already 'done,' or pages yet to be worked on. In either case, it's easy for these things to be forgotten. Luckily, this wasn't the case, as we had great communication.
You can see the final version of this project here.